Rockwern Academy, Cincinnati’s pluralistic Jewish Day School, is looking for a kindergarten general studies teacher, 2022- 2023 school year. This teacher will have a class of approximately 14 students and will benefit from working with a full-time teaching assistant in the classroom.
Who are we?
Rockwern Academy’s mission is to expand minds, celebrate Judaism, nurture community, and commit to building a better world. An exceptional student-teacher ratio allows us to value each student as a true individual, discovering what gives them their inner spark. Serving toddlers through sixth graders (and in some years, seventh and eighth graders too), we
- Inspire a lifelong love of learning, as our experienced teachers prepare our students to thrive in top high schools.
- Create a more compassionate world by teaching values and ethics that last a lifetime.
- Nurture our powerful sense of community, fostering strong relationships between students of all ages, teachers, staff, and families.
- Explore the power of technology to engage students, developing tools for critical thinking and problem solving.
Qualified applicants will have an Ohio teaching certificate with MA preferred, experience in primary grades preferred. Knowledge of Judaism is not required, and candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
To create a kindergarten classroom environment that is nurturing and playful and focused on academic success as well as social-emotional development; to provide direct and differentiated instruction according to best practices; to maintain open lines of communication with parents, administrators, and colleagues; to act as a professional who is committed to the success of Rockwern Academy and its students.
The position is responsible to the Principal.
- Create and maintain a safe, organized, fair, effective and inviting classroom that reflects the teacher’s awareness of students’ physical, social, and intellectual development and needs
- Prepare, submit, and follow weekly lesson plans that mirror the curriculum and support desired learning, adapting as appropriate
- Present curricular material in a clear, fresh and relevant manner, using a variety of media, activities, and groupings
- Actively seek ways to integrate curricula across disciplines
- Prepare and maintain materials and supplies that enhance learning
- Design realistic and age-appropriate units and long-term assignments that support the curriculum and enhance students’ development and learning
- Individualize instruction to meet students’ needs:
- Learn students’ preferred learning modalities, current understandings, and skill level
- Adapt approved materials and methods as needed
- Actively seek ways to implement Responsive Classroom components of Morning Meeting, Guided Discovery, and Academic Choice*
- Encourage students to help one another
- Modify instruction in response to children’s emotional state or level of frustration
- Create time to work individually with children
- Design assessments that are reasonable and valid measures of student progress and understanding
- Post relevant, accurate, and timely information to Rockwern’s Learning Management System
- Provide bi-weekly communication to parents that highlights subject area content
- Alert administrators, other grade-level teachers, and support staff when a child has difficulties that might be attributed to special needs
- Confer with parents and students regarding educational and behavioral problems, including administration as appropriate
- Contribute, when asked, to the weekly e-newsletter or other communication or marketing vehicles
- Attend required events and attend extra-curricular activities and PTO functions when possible
- Assume responsibility for personal professional development
- Use an Individualized Professional Development Plan to communicate goals and objectives
- Seek out and attend workshops, seminars, etc. that contribute to professional goals and enhance practice
- Maintain all pertinent documentation relevant to Rockwern Academy’s required eight hours of professional development yearly and for state licensure, if applicable
- Exhibit commitment to lifelong learning and the growth or change it may engender
- Demonstrate commitment to teamwork and collegiality by helping others and accepting suggestions for improvement
*Teachers are expected to base their practice on the principles of Responsive Classroom. However, it is understood that new staff will need training in order to meet this responsibility.
To apply for this job please visit www.applitrack.com.