Hamilton County ESC
Itinerant Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialist
QUALIFICATION: Bachelor’s and/or Master’s Degree in Special Education Current Ohio Pupil Services License-COMS AER/Academy certification. Must be able to travel to various locations on a daily basis.
1. Perform functional vision evaluations and learning media assessments on new referrals and re-evaluations as requested. Write and interpret reports.
2. Interpret eye medical reports as they relate to educational environments.
3. Assess the extent visual impairment may affect school/community travel.
4. Assist in determining the eligibility and the appropriate placement of students with visual impairment per Ohio definition of visual impairment and special education.
5. Comply with local, state, and federal regulations regarding due process procedures.
6. Serve as integral team member and work cooperatively with local school district administrators, administrators of assigned schools, teachers, parents, and other appropriate team members.
7. Orient the classroom teachers to the unique travel needs of students with visual impairments.
8. Identify and provide appropriate orientation and mobility instruction to students in a variety of settings and needs.
9. Write measurable goals and objectives for individual students. Progress monitor and provide data reporting per district need.
10. Assist in the modification of the classroom and school environment for the student with visual impairment.
11. Provide training in the following special skills when appropriate: optical aids, concept development and cane travel.
12. Assist and participate in the transition processes for early childhood and high school. Work with agencies to promote a smooth transition process.
13. Recommend appropriate specialized equipment for student travel needs.
14. Provide direct instruction to student per IEP goals and objectives.
15. Obtain necessary training and updates for Van Driver’s License (ODE rules). Hold a valid Ohio Driver’s License and provide own transportation. Must be able to travel to various locations on a daily basis.
16. Promptly submit all student billing, travel forms, leave requests, reports, by stipulated deadlines.
17. Protect confidentiality of students and comply with HCESC policy and procedures.
18. Maintain professional currency through yearly growth and development.
19. Instructs students with visual impairments in residential and business areas.
20. Instructs students with visual impairments appropriate use of public transportation.
21. Transport students to teaching locations.
22. Writes weekly lesson plans and maintains student progress data.
23. Maintain appropriate attendance per HCESC policy.
24. Exhibit professionalism by managing conflict and offering positive solutions.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Shall be appointed to a limited contract with the number of work days established by the employment contract. Salary to be established by the Board.
Itinerant Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialist will be evaluated in accordance with the provisions of the Board’s evaluation policy.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY AND ADA STATEMENT:
The Hamilton County Educational Service Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and endeavors to provide the highest quality service through employing professionals selected for their competence and expertise. No one will be discriminated against on the basis of color, age, origin, race, gender, religion, marital status, military service or disability.
Submit your application on Applitrack for this position and
Submit Resume with Letter of Interest to:
Hamilton County Educational Service Center
Attention: Keady Delia
11083 Hamilton Avenue
Cincinnati, Ohio 45231
To apply for this job please visit www.applitrack.com.